• Announcements

• Admin Asst

Share With a Friend

We believe that your family and friends can benefit from the enlightening information on the good, bad, and current stories related to our culture, whether local, national or global. If you agree, encourage them to subscribe to our forum by using the "Tell-A-Friend" feature located at the bottom of our main page. The note will mention your name with a brief invitation and link to our site. Admin Team
    • Administrator

Internet Scams and BarbadosForum

Recently there have been an increase in online scams. In almost all online communities one will find that most users are generally nice people but, as in any community, one can also expect to find that there are unscrupulous persons who will try to conduct their trade behind the shadow of anonymity that the internet provides. Be cautious when responding to requests or special offers delivered through unsolicited private messages. Guard your personal information as well as your account information carefully. Any instance of solicitation that users encounter whether it is on a post or through private messages should be immediately reported to the Administrators of this forum. Admin Team
Snoop

Bajan Black Cake

Rate this topic:

13 posts in this topic

I'm desperately seeking a recipe for Bajan Black Cake between now and Christmas Eve - help! Thanks in advance.

Snoop, I’ve been searching for my grandmother’s recipe; since I don’t eat it anymore, I can’t seem to put my hand on it. Anyway, I found this on the net. It includes ingredients and method… Click Here

P.S -- just came across this ... You may also want to take a look

Edited by DeTruth

I'm desperately seeking a recipe for Bajan Black Cake between now and Christmas Eve - help! Thanks in advance.

A big hardback umman like u and gotta bake friut cake wit a recipe.

Chuse doam mek muh laugh :lol:

Anyway, if DT aint help yuh, see if this does:

BAJAN FRUIT CAKE OR GREAT CAKE

3/4 cup diced candied citron

1/2 cup diced candied orange peel

3/4 cup candied cherries

4 cups raisins (mix golden and dark)

2-1/2 cups currants

1 cup chopped dates

1 cup chopped, cooked prunes

1/2 cup chopped, toasted almonds

2 1/2 cups dark Bajan rum

Combine all ingredients. Fruit mixture can be minced or chopped

according to liking. Make sure that the rum covers all of the

fruits. Add more as necessary. Refrigerate or store in a cool

place, lightly covered for four weeks or more.

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon each clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter, softened

2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed

5 large eggs at room temperature

Sift flour with baking powder, spices and salt; set aside. Cream

butter. Add sugar and beat a few minutes. Scrape bowl occasionally

with wooden spatula during beating. Add eggs one at a time, beating

at medium speed. Make sure that eggs are thoroughly mixed and

incorporated into mixture. Increase speed to high and beat until

light and fluffy - about three minutes. You may add a small piece

of lime or lemon peel while mixing to eliminate rawness of eggs.

Remove peel from mixture when thoroughly mixed.

Re-sift half the flour mixture and add to the butter mixture and

blend thoroughly, using lowest speed of mixer. Now add mixture to

soaked fruits while adding the additional flour. Stir with wooden

spoon to blend thoroughly.

Butter two 9-inch loaf pans and line with butter parchment paper.

Spoon batter into pans. Place a small pan half-full of water on

bottom rack of oven for first hour of baking to keep cake moist.

Bake in 300-degree oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until cake tester

comes out clean. Cool in pans, then invert on baking rack. Remove

paper. Sprinkle with rum to moisten, then let cake dry and cool.

Store in airtight container. This cake can last for months if

moistened occasionally.

Thanks DT. I have the fruit already soaking...that much I remembered. BK, gards tuh you, it's Christmas - put away your anger. :P You should be proud of me. At least I'm not going out looking to buy one. :rolleyes:

Thanks DT.  I have the fruit alreaive yuh marks fuh datdy soaking...that much I remembered.  BK, gards tuh you, it's Christmas - put away your anger. :P You should be proud of me.  At least I'm not going out looking to buy one.  :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: aeeeeeeeeee gotta to geh yuh marks fuh dat :rolleyes:

BK, I'm glad to see that you give Snoop credit for doing her own thing. :D Several of my bjan friends don't even bother to bake plain cake, coconut bread, or other pastries, [not that they don't know how to] anytime of the year, futhermore to make fruit/black cake during this time of the year.

Every Christmas is a Bajan Christmas in my house. They may be American born, but they are Bajans in the belly. :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  aeeeeeeeeee gotta to geh yuh marks fuh dat :rolleyes:

BK, you have to give me more than marks. I'll have you know the black cake was a rousing success. I used the recipe you posted. The one DT posted had too many ingredients, and I wasn't going for it. :D Anyway, the family loved it, and my encore performance is, as I write this, in the oven...so there. :P

The one DT posted had too many ingredients, and I wasn't going for it. :D 

Snoop, I just tek a look at de ingredients pun de site uh refer yuh tuh; uh din even know dat yuh doz put "pineapple jam" in black cake -- is a gud ting uh doan eat um cau uh wudda end up in de horspital. :D Yuh shud visit de site and leh dem know, de cake in need all dem ingredients tuh come out irie. But den agen, um is de end result dat matters. Dey is mo dan one way tuh skin a cat. :lol: Enjoy!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  aeeeeeeeeee gotta to geh yuh marks fuh dat :rolleyes:

BK, you have to give me more than marks. I'll have you know the black cake was a rousing success. I used the recipe you posted. The one DT posted had too many ingredients, and I wasn't going for it. :D Anyway, the family loved it, and my encore performance is, as I write this, in the oven...so there. :P

Snoop I am glad your family loved your cake :). aaaam yuh nuse any alcholol to give de cake sum strength :rolleyes:

Well DT when I saw all those ingredients and when I saw the pineapple jam I said...I don't think so. I don't have that much time to put all those ingredients together.

BK, in answer to you. I used port wine. Of course by the time the cake was baked that had all burned off. We even gave some to the baby and she ate it. We eat it the American way...served with soft ice cream on top. Very good!

Well DT when I saw all those ingredients and when I saw the pineapple jam I said...I don't think so.  I don't have that much time to put all those ingredients together. 

BK, in answer to you.  I used port wine.  Of course by the time the cake was baked that had all burned off.  We even gave some to the baby and she ate it.  We eat it the American way...served with soft ice cream on top.  Very good!

Good job. Glad the recipe helped!